- If the water has entered the structure through the flooding of a creek, stream or river, or if it has filtered through insulation during its intrusion, it is considered to be black water and could be hazardous to your health. For this type of damage, avoid contact with contaminated items as much as possible.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas.
- Throw away all foods even canned goods that have come into contact with flood waters.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for drying. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Place fans at 45-degree angles to walls and move large furniture away from walls to create the best air circulation.
- Only open windows to promote drying if the air outside is less humid than the air inside.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
Founded in 1967, the?SERVPRO?franchise system is a national leader and provider of fire, water, mold and other specialty cleanup and restoration services.?SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,500 individually owned and operated franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss situations.